Thursday, August 7, 2008

MIFF - Surveillance

I've always been a fan of David Lynch, so when there was the opportunity to see the latest film Surveillance by his daughter Jennifer Lynch, I was most definitely in! My only recollections of Jennifer's work was the fact that she wrote the Laura Palmer Diary that was the book accompaniment to the Twin Peaks series. Though thanks to google, I discovered that she also directed one of my favourite films, Boxing Helena.

Described in the festival guide as:

“A twisty thriller with an unabashedly nasty streak and an almost theatrical taste for excess.” – LA Times

After a 15-year hiatus, Jennifer Lynch (daughter of the notorious David Lynch) follows up her controversial filmmaking debut, Boxing Helena, with another violence-laden bombshell.

Surveillance
stars Bill Pullman and Julia Ormond as FBI agents who ride into a small desert town on the scent of some killers involved in a mass shooting on the highway. Surviving witnesses are hauled into the police station to recount what they saw, but the individual pieces of the puzzle fail to fit together.

Rashomon
-esque in its presentation, Surveillance is seasoned with plenty of midnight movie flavour and dissonant genre notes, giving credence to the old adage: ‘like father, like daughter’.

This film had a all the right ingredients, goofy cops with too much personality, interesting flashback scenes and a series of twists that are amazing! Although there is a lot of violence, I feel that I'm more immune to people being shot dead than the type of bizarre sexual violence that I saw in Cargo 200! Bill Pullman was fantastic in his role as FBI agent. I don't think that I've ever seen him act in such an interesting way and also with such conviction. A real credit to Jennifer Lynch. Surveillance is another film that will go into my library of great films alongside Blue Velvet!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...