Friday, October 16, 2009

Taking in some art!

Today I went and checked out San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art. It's a really beautiful gallery, great staff and excellent program... it is also free!


san jose art 008

Currently they have their fundraising exhibition on which had loads of beautiful contemporary art pieces by some quite established artists. The prices were also very reasonable and there were lots of works I would of liked to have bought... if I had the cash! I have added some of my favourite works to flickr as well.

san jose art 032

I also ventured to the San Jose Museum of Art. There were several exhibitions on, including a great exhibition of works by Chuck Close. I'm not usually a huge fan of his work, I find it interesting but I don't think about it too much. This exhibition was fantastic. They had included lots of works in progress, showing the way Close builds up the final prints, sometimes using 100 plates or screenprints. There was also the actual wood blocks showing how he had cut them and built up the images as well as the guides for creating the amazing paper pulp works. A well laid out and designed exhibition... a big yay to the curators, amazing job! I also enjoyed the little work stations that allowed people to try their hand at a variety of techniqes relating to nearly all of the exhibitions. It was very interactive without these stations being ugly. It was definitely worth the $8 entry fee.

I finished the morning by having a cheeseburger and fries at Peggy Sue's diner. Delicious and cheap!

Oh and for those back in Australia... it's pretty warm here, 26 degrees celcius. I actually have air conditioning on as it's pretty humid.
Ok, more art to go see more art.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...