Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Gathering of Books

notes from russia inside book


One of the things I love about travelling is buying new and different books that I can’t get back home. Here is a list of kinds of some of the books that I’ve picked up while away:

  • Sarah Lucas Au Naturel by Amna Malik published by Afterall Books. A great little book that looks at the works by British artist Sarah Lucas.
  • The Sewing Bible: a modern manual of practical and decorative sewing techniques by Ruth Singer published by Potter Craft. This is a newly released book and covers things such as French seams, how to insert zips in a variety of ways and all of that kind of thing. I bought it as it’s always good to have ‘how to books’ with sewing and knitting and this one is pretty with some cute projects as well.
  • The Eastern and Central European Kitchen: contemporary and classic recipes by Silvena Rowe. I got this book at the awesome book shop Rabelais in Portland Maine. www.RabelaisBooks.com it’s got some great recipes but I think needs it’s own post!
  • My Name is Charles Saatchi and I am an Artoholic by Phaidon books. This is a cute little book that is like a very extended interview with art collector Charles Saatchi. It’s pretty funny and a lovely insight into the man.
  • Pints and Purls: portable projects for the social knitter by Karinda Collins and libby Bruce. Covers projects that you can knit in pubs while drinking… my kind of book.
  • The Curator’s Egg by Karsten Schubert looks at the evolution of the museum concept from the French Revolution to the present day.
  • Notes from Russia by Alexei Plutser-Sarno is a portrait of the Russian street told through public notices. A beautiful look at the everyday idea of Russia, I love the typography of the notes also.
  • Art Now volume 2 by Taschen. I have the first volume of this book and I got this copy for $5! It’s a great reference for myself and other young artists as well.
  • Vans “Off the Wall” Stories of Sole from Vans Originals by Doug Palladini. A great historical and personal look at people who wear vans shoes (I’m a fan!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...