Sunday, April 25, 2010

Miss Mardi knitting tips: Melbourne

hand dyed merino yarn from boston button shop blog


So, I accidently started a Knitting & Martinis group where people can come, knit, drink gorgeous cocktails and be fabulous. Accidently you may ask? Well, I thought I would just hang out at my favourite bar on a Saturday afternoon doing the above and then loads of people wanted to join - cool huh?!

Seeing we have quite a few newbies to the knitting world but also some international folk who don't know the Melbourne knitting scene, I thought I would do some links to places and sites that I totally love for getting your knit on!

For yarn: For cheap, standard yarn I often visit any of the Spotlight or Lincraft stores in Melbourne. They have a reasonable selection and are great for needles and stitch holders and all of that: I like Sunspun in Canterbury - they have great selection of special goodies, though it can be a bit pricey. There's Morris & Sons in the city which are great and super helpful. Wondoflex in Malvern is large and features a good turn over of stock. I also like Wool Baa in Albert Park, it's a little shop but they are great at assisting you with knitting questions and projects.

Lion brand store for blog

When it comes to patterns and finding inspiration I always visit the Lion Brand Yarn website. It's a USA site but they have loads of free patterns and now you can even order their yarn online and have it delivered to Australia! I visited their studio in New York and loved it!

I also love Berroco! I haven't found a place in Melbourne that stocks the yarn but I'm sure there are places online that you can order it. They also have some free patterns but generally their patterns are different and inspiring to knit.

Have you joined Ravelry? This is where all knitters hang out and swap patterns, ideas and you can keep track of your projects. It's free to join and alot of fun - it's also an excellent source of patterns, mostly free too! Knitty is also a great place for free patterns. Visit their website and support them.

Lastly but not least, I visit the annual Australian Sheep and Wool show in Bendigo every year! You can meet with farmers and folk who spin and dye the yarns and pick up some bargains. Also you get to meet some cute animals too. It's always held around June and definitely worth the trip!

I hope you've found this helpful and you know, it you want to join our Knitting and Martinis group in Melbourne, please feel free to email me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...