Sunday, January 23, 2011

I Heart Richie Benaud...

Yes, I may have a strange love for cricketing legend Richie Benaud but I believe it's because he is one of the great style icons of the game.  As a child growing up, I probably remembered him best for his television career post cricket playing, when he would don the beige suit.  No one else could wear the light coloured garb as well as he.  When you thought cricket, you thought of Richie and naturally the light coloured suit.  It really does takes a style icon of a man to pull this look off!


However, when I grew up and looked a little bit more into the style history of Mr. Benaud, I discovered that he really had been the style icon of cricket for many, many years.  When he was playing and captaining Australia his uniform style was casual, effortless and a little bit sexy!  He could be seen on the field in a loose white shirt, often with the sleeves rolled up and unbuttoned quite low with maybe only 5 to 6 inches of it tucked into his tailored trousers.  The style was confident.  It was a style that could take you from the game to having a cocktail in the south of France. Current Australian players could learn a thing or two about style from this photograph alone!

The ritchie


I was very excited to get to meet the man himself recently. Gone are the days of the beige suit Benuad as he moves into his later years of navy suits and pale pink shirts.  Dignified yet still playing within the game of fashionista with his hints of pink.  Richie Benaud is a man who always looks the part at any function and always in his effortless ways.



Richie Benaud, you are my cricket style icon!

2 comments:

LaLa said...

Wow, he looked incredibly saucy in his youth! I think you've convinced me :)

Mardi said...

Didn't he!!! I Once saw a photo of him in the early 1960s in swimmers lazing on a beach in France, I think he was a bit of a ladies man!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...