Monday, June 13, 2011

A Sweet Gift from my Mentee...

Gorgeous thank you gift from my mentee! And courier'd to work!


The other week I received a small parcel couriered to my work.  When I collected it, I looked at the small box and wondered what was in it!  It looked far too small for any of the gallery delivery items that we get (printed goods, vinyl lettering, magazines or bubble wrap!)  You can imagine my surprise and delight that when I opened it, it was a noodle box full of delicious mixed sweets from my former mentee, Lou!

It came with a very touching card thanking me for my assistance over the last year.  I met Lou when she came on board at Town Hall Gallery to be my mentee and to curate an exhibition Weapons of Mass Consumption.  The exhibition was a fantastic success, very much to Louisa's credit and she was an absolute delight to work with and mentor over that time.  I was so pleased to see on the thank you note that she had been appointed to a new role!  It's so great seeing her go on to do amazing things.


Lou, Mardi and John at the gallery


One of the best things about my current job is the opportunity to work with emerging artists and curators and to share my experience and knowledge with them.  Most of the time these mentorships lead to long lasting friendships and I get such a kick out of seeing them succeed in their careers.  I think that I've been inspired to mentor others thanks to my own initial learning backgrounds when I was a teenager and how it affected what I wanted to do and really where I am now.  It's not a one way street by any means!  I definitely receive inspiration and ideas of new ways of working from all of my artists and curators.

Sounds gushy huh?  It really is a fantastic experience, sharing knowledge is a very rewarding thing to do!

2 comments:

emma said...

a beautiful story and lovely to have crossed paths with someone as such . . .

miss mardi nowak said...

Thank you Emma!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...