Monday, January 30, 2012

Music clip inspiration: Arcade Fire



I'm in love with this song and music clip by Arcade Fire.  The song is called Sprawl II (Mountains beyond Mountains).  As a bit of a shopping theory geek, the lines:
'Cause on the surface the city lights shine
They're calling at me, come and find your kind
Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small
That we can never get away from the sprawl
Living in the sprawl
Dead shopping malls rise like mountains beyond mountains
And there's no end in sight
I need the darkness, someone please cut the lights
These lyrics remind me of feeling lost and completely overwhelmed in large shopping malls in the USA.  I would love to go there alone and just wander around, like a flaneur, absorbing all the information, lights and bigness that they had to offer.

It also reminds me of visiting weird and small towns in the USA and seeing deserted shops and fast food chain stores.  Their decaying aesthetics had a quiet beauty to them.  They were kind of spooky as they were so isolated but I loved looking at the faded signs, just a shadow of their former glory.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...