Friday, August 24, 2012

Reading: Overdressed...


I have just finished reading "Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion" by Elizabeth L. Cline.

It was an interesting read, yet it had some faults.  Bloomberg Business Week reviewed the book which you can read over here.

The book explores the changes in the way we shop and what we consume in ways of fashion.  Since I completed my Masters in 2003/4 which looked at shopping theory, I too can see the changes as well in less than 10 years.

People don't seem to care where the product is coming from, rather that they have it.  I have been shocked by the lines of people queuing to shop in new 'super stores' such as ZARA and TOPSHOP which have recently launched in Australia.  I keep wondering why?  Why are people waiting many hours to purchase a top that so many others all over the world own?  It's still a reasonably cheaply made product.

If you get a chance, this book is a fascinating read and may change how you think about your purchases.

1 comment:

M-H said...

I love making my own clothes and wearing something that no-one else has. But people seem to think it's really hard to sew, knit and crochet. Where did that idea come from? I say "It can't be that hard; many people made their own clothes throughout most of the 20th century." But they just shake their heads. "Haven't go time"... . Makes me sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...